[AusNOG] [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:29:45 EST 2015

Jared,
The article mentions NBN Chairman Ziggy Switkowski wanting to contribute to
discussions around CDNs of content providers deployed into ISPs, notably
for Google and Netflix.

To the naive eye, they're both providing ISPs "free" bandwidth. There's no
cost forwarded to the end user. But the consequences of this, for other
content providers, is that Google and Netflix, can provide a better user
experience.

Now that's a problem for 2 classes of providers.
1 - those competing in the content sphere - for Google, other search
providers, for Netflix, other VoD providers. If you're an innovator in the
search engine or VoD space, existing CDNs significantly up the barriers to
entry.

2 - those providing a different service, so they're not direct competitors,
but where their traffic is of higher value to the user, (and consequently
the service provider would be willing to pay for a better level of
service), but under net neutrality rules, should receive the same
treatment. If users can get all the Netflix they need through CDNs, there
won't be the scale of transit capacity as if there were no CDNs, so higher
value content, such as voice and video, wouldn't get resourcing to the same
scale.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins