[AusNOG] [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Nov 25 01:26:20 EST 2015

On 24 Nov 2015, at 22:29, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jared,
> The article mentions NBN Chairman Ziggy Switkowski wanting to contribute to discussions around CDNs of content providers deployed into ISPs, notably for Google and Netflix.

The reason Switkowski cares about this is because his organization charges $17.50 per megabit per month for aggregation, which makes ISPs minimize the CVC capacity they buy, which makes content services like YouTube and Netflix perform like shit, which makes customers complain to their MPs about how terrible the NBN is, which makes Ziggy get embarrassing questions in Estimates and makes his Minister get leering mocking inquiries from the ALP in Question Time about how this MTM thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

One simple proposal that would obviate his problem would be to drop the CVC charge.

Another is to spend the next ten years having an acrimonious net neutrality debate in Australia during a time when most of the rest of the world has largely moved right past it; and THEN drop his CVC charge, because we all know it has to happen one day anyway.

   - mark