[AusNOG] Site Blocking Coming

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Nov 24 01:26:02 EST 2015

Skeeve - Seems to me that 115A(3)(b) indicates the court action needs to explicitly
name each ISP that is going to be asked to implement anything, and 115A(4)(a) means
each ISP that is named must be notified that the application is being made, so you can
choose whether or not to participate in the court action or not. If you are not named
and notified, you won't be served the injunction, so you won't need to do anything.
These days, naming the top 5 ISPs is likely to cover a decent percentage of the userbase.

115A(5)f is something the judge has to take into account in deciding whether or not to
grant the injunction. An ISP that is named might be able to advise the judge on this
point, but an ISP that is not named doesn't have any say at that point - not your problem.

If you receive an injunction, your entire requirement to act is described in 115A(2)
"Take reasonable steps to disable access to the online location".

Like most things the law describes the desired outcome, not the method. Its up to you.
If you are given a domain name or URL and your idea of 'reasonable step' is to block
the IP address, and there is a pile of collateral damage, then the ensuing publicity
might make the next application be considered differently. You might instead choose to
add a DNS hack within your network. Its entirely your individual call how you "disable
access", and it doesn't have to be 100% effective, just "reasonable steps". Whatever
that means.