[AusNOG] AAPT/TPG EFM vs MBE @ 10Mbps

James Cunningham jjazza26 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:41:39 EST 2015

Hello Ausnog,

I'm struggling to comprehend the differences between the AAPT/TPG EFM
product and the MBE product. I understand that both are Ethernet over
Copper and both offer symmetrical speed, and that MBE is a guaranteed speed
and EFM is a best effort product.

But how do these differ technically in the back end? Is one better than the
other? Everyone says that MBE is better than EFM, but is this just because
MBE is guaranteed?

Customer is 300m from their telephone exchange, and should get the full
10Mbps using EFM, what benefit is there is paying twice as much per month
for an MBE? I believe both have free installation on 36 month contracts.

Are they both 1:1 connections?

Thank you in advance

James