[AusNOG] AAPT/TPG EFM vs MBE @ 10Mbps

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Jul 13 13:47:39 EST 2015

I think the difference is exactly what you've stated - that MBE is
guaranteed speed.  Where TPG will connect with two pairs, and all going
well you get 10/10, Telstra might test and then decide they need four or
six pairs to guarantee the speed.

Having had TPG at multiple office locations, if I had had the money in the
budget, I'd have gone MBE (Though $299 / month vs $2800 / month is a BIG
difference) - as one site ended up syncing at 2/2 for a month or so (one of
two pairs turned off, and the remaining pair with an aggressive profile on
it), until I ended up relocating the TPG NTU/Router to the MDF, and running
80m of cat5 back upstairs to our server room, which was finally enough
proof for TPG that it wasn't internal cabling at fault, and they called
Telstra.

On 13 July 2015 at 13:41, James Cunningham <jjazza26 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ausnog,
>
> I'm struggling to comprehend the differences between the AAPT/TPG EFM
> product and the MBE product. I understand that both are Ethernet over
> Copper and both offer symmetrical speed, and that MBE is a guaranteed speed
> and EFM is a best effort product.
>
> But how do these differ technically in the back end? Is one better than
> the other? Everyone says that MBE is better than EFM, but is this just
> because MBE is guaranteed?
>
> Customer is 300m from their telephone exchange, and should get the full
> 10Mbps using EFM, what benefit is there is paying twice as much per month
> for an MBE? I believe both have free installation on 36 month contracts.
>
> Are they both 1:1 connections?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> James

Damien Gardner Jnr