[AusNOG] Political Spam?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Jan 30 11:03:40 EST 2015

Has anyone else been getting heaps of spam (particularly from a
specific political party) over recent days?

All mine seems to be originating from 104.206.203.0/25 (Hosted overseas,
but operated by an australian entity and individual.)

I've contacted the person listed as tech contact who seems to be fully
aware of the situation and doesn't give a rats. Their mail servers are
particularly unfriendly (hammering away like a crazed monkey, despite
greylisting saying to go away for (x) time). The majority of the addresses
they're hitting either haven't existed for years, or have never existed.
Those that are valid have absolutely definately not given permission
(either explicitly or implied).

I've logged a complaint with the hosting provider - no idea if that'll get
anywhere. I've also called the ACMA and am waiting on a call back.

I've spoken to a few other people who run mail servers, they're seeing
much the same, I'm curious if it's actually causing any significant blips
on peoples radars, and/or if anyone else is as rabidly anti-spam as I am
and has suggestions on ways to eradicate it at the source?

RossW