[AusNOG] Political Spam?

Jared Hirst jared.hirst at serversaustralia.com.au
Fri Jan 30 11:10:56 EST 2015

We had this happen to us a few years ago, the best thing which was not
ideal was to simply black hole the sending IP and let the provider know.

It's not a solution as such but if you are finding that it's actually
damaging your mail servers then it's probably the best temporary solution
till they stop.

On Friday, January 30, 2015, Ross Wheeler <ausnog at rossw.net> wrote:

> Has anyone else been getting heaps of spam (particularly from a specific
> political party) over recent days?
>
> All mine seems to be originating from 104.206.203.0/25 (Hosted overseas,
> but operated by an australian entity and individual.)
>
> I've contacted the person listed as tech contact who seems to be fully
> aware of the situation and doesn't give a rats. Their mail servers are
> particularly unfriendly (hammering away like a crazed monkey, despite
> greylisting saying to go away for (x) time). The majority of the addresses
> they're hitting either haven't existed for years, or have never existed.
> Those that are valid have absolutely definately not given permission
> (either explicitly or implied).
>
> I've logged a complaint with the hosting provider - no idea if that'll get
> anywhere. I've also called the ACMA and am waiting on a call back.
>
> I've spoken to a few other people who run mail servers, they're seeing
> much the same, I'm curious if it's actually causing any significant blips
> on peoples radars, and/or if anyone else is as rabidly anti-spam as I am
> and has suggestions on ways to eradicate it at the source?
>
> RossW

Regards,

 Jared Hirst Chief Executive Officer[image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/ServersAustralia>[image: @serversau on Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/serversau>[image: Servers Australia]

Ask us about web hosting...
Phone: +61 2 8115 8801
Network Ops: +61 2 8115 8850
Main Switch: +61 2 8115 8888
Web: www.serversaustralia.com.au

11/6 Reliance Drive, Tuggerah NSW 2259
PO Box 3187, Tuggerah NSW 2259

SYDNEY | BRISBANE | PERTH | MELBOURNE | NEW ZEALAND

*Notice:* This message may contain private and confidential information
intended only for the recipients. If you have received this message in
error please delete immediately and notify the sender. Any distribution or
reproduction of this message is prohibited. The views & opinions expressed
in this email are NOT necessarily those of Servers Australia.