[AusNOG] Favourite USB to serial adapter cable

John Lindsay johnslindsay at mac.com
Tue Jan 6 12:09:01 EST 2015

I spent a frustrating evening last night discovering that under OSX after stty'ing the speed of three different USB serial devices they all revert to 9600 baud when you talk to the /dev/cu. device and that even setting the baud rate as you open it via "screen port speed" doesn't work. In fact you need to _change_ the baud rate in zterm for it to work.

This was with a FTDI cable, an Arduino and an Atmel LUFA based USB serial interface on an embedded device.

And there you were wondering why 9600,n,8,1 is still the default in 2015.

Cheers,

John Lindsay