[AusNOG] Public Internet Access Policies

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Oct 8 11:49:18 EST 2014

On 10/08/2014 03:10 AM, Jeremy Visser wrote:
> On 08/10/14 11:05, Andrew Yager wrote:
>>> - what sort of filtering have you implemented in the past? We
>>> are looking at a solution that would do simple category
>>> filtering at the moment, with the option to blacklist and
>>> whitelist particular URLs
> Why is filtering seemingly always implemented on public internet
> access, but seemingly never implemented on other consumer internet
> connections?

Which is an assumption...
Most sane parents and humans understand that Internet is being used to
access information and as all information it should be filtered.

I didn't yet prepared a presentation and examples for the public use
but I do have many real world scenarios from day to day Internet usage
that are based on daily ISP side scenarios which shows the dangerous
issues with clients Internet usage.

A statement like:
"For the sake of our children souls we should X Y Z " would not be
what I would say.
But all of today teaching methods and institutions are based upon the
fact that humans do base their personalty on acquired experiences and
knowledge.
Many teaching theories are based on the above facts and one of the
"future" visions for some people is "fast learning" using all sorts of
methods such as these mentioned in Science Fiction movies.
Not far from these visions and teaching theories many parents will say
that videos\pictures\books\articles affected them and their children.

If these parents would have been asked about them self they would
probably answer that in many cases the words "spare me these details"
would be their true heart wish to be spared for un-needed\un-wanted
information.

> What is the difference between the terms of use for the former to
> the latter, and why can't they be the same?

I do not have any legal degree or certificate and it might be the same.

I would assume that a public service which logs and\or collects urls
and other data on\using the client needs a basic consent.
Comparing to a service ordered by a client the basic legal consent
serves this purpose.

Eliezer