[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 18:41:55 EST 2014

On 5 November 2014 18:20, Matt Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 05:53:05PM +1100, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> > How is it possible to impose an ipv4 shutdown? Across global technical
> and
> > sovereign borders? I just don't see how it's possible. The only way ipv4
> is
> > ever going away is by natural attrition. This can and only will happen
> when:
> >
> > Cost_Opex_ipv4 + Capital_amortisation_ipv4 > Cost_Opex_ipv6 +
> > Capital_amortisation_ipv6 + Amortised_cost_ipv4_ipv6_transition
>
> You're missing revenue in there somewhere.
>
> - Matt

Not so much. Data revenue is per byte, regardless of ipv4 or ipv6.

Bear in mind the consideration is for support of an existing service, if
we're talking terminating ipv4 services.

For new services, it's different, because you have opportunity costs and
the additional costs of supporting dual ipv4/ipv6 infrastructure.

I think the reason the discussion has moved on to mandating an ipv4
shutdown, is because the economics of dual ipv4/ipv6 infrastructure aren't
competitive, so there's the desire to simply wish away ipv4.

Paul Wilkins