[AusNOG] Cable length limits?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Tue Mar 4 21:52:57 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm working on a project involving a new facility being built in
Townsville.  A consultant on the project mentioned to me today that he
had heard some discussions which suggested that the maximum distance of
90m on a Cat5e/Cat6 run applies to environments where the ambient
temperature is around 20 degrees, and that higher temperatures can
actually require lower length limits.

Can anyone confirm or deny, and/or point to some relevant references?
Google seems to have some relevant hits, but discerning the wheat from
the chaff is tricky - many of the first few hits for the searches I did
were from companies trying to sell higher grade cabling.

Thanks in advance,
Paul