[AusNOG] Should we be a LIR for our customers and get them PI (Was: another ipv6 Q)

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 17:19:51 EST 2014

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:54:25 +1000, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

> On 2014-07-03 02:45, Tony wrote:
> [..]
>> "the network is statically addressed and of a size or complexity that
>> make renumbering operationally impractical, together with evidence
>> that dynamic or multiple addressing options are either not available
>> from the relevant ISP or are unsuitable"
>
> Simple answer to $RIR for these kind of requests:
>  - client requires to never renumber due to complexity of network.
>  - client requires independent connectivity.
>
> This case can easily be made for most businesses.
> (not so easily for a 2 person company though ;)

I don't know, with a shiny new NBN fibre NTU with 4 ports that I can
easily get concurrent connectivity from 4 separate ISP's if I wanted to,
perhaps I might just need my own /48 PI at my house :)

>> So the solution is that any business that thinks they might be
>> uncomfortable renumbering IPv6 should apply for a PI /48 ? As previously
>> mentioned on this thread the costs seems to be in the order of $1200 PA.
>
> Not if you have an LIR (eg SAGE-AU or any other LIR) that covers the
> base fee, and then requests the PI space on their behalf.
>
> For the LIR it is just an extra prefix, thus just a bit more cash. See
> the various calculators mentioned in the parent thread.
>
>> Should we be encouraging our business customers that meet this criteria
>> (multiple sites, few hundred devices) to get IPv6 space from APNIC and
>> then advertise it for them (for global connectivity) ?
>
> Yes. And you as the upstream can act as the LIR.
>
> Note that your customer might chose to use different/additional
> upstreams to actually serve their traffic once they have their PI
> prefix. They can also move their PI prefix to another LIR etc.

Thanks for the info. So we just apply for PI space on customers behalf
that will then be outside of our /32 and bill them (if we so choose) the
incremental cost for their PI allocation (eg. /48) ? Given our IPv4 space,
we can apply for a metric-bucket-load of extra /48's before we would end
up paying any more in annual fees to APNIC.

Sounds easy enough. Is this what others are doing in this space (business
customers) ?

I am looking at this from the perspective of our customers who will
shortly be saying "what IPv6 addresses can we use for devices on our
network across 20 sites" ?

regards,
Tony.