[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Wed Aug 6 15:21:24 EST 2014

Yes, it only ever is. And its why ignoring crimes of passion, there is very
little crime stopped that isn't either tiny (speeding, shop lifting, etc),
or on such a scale (serial ..ist, drugs, etc)  that the police forces
already have what they need to get the job done.

If you were to go to AFP child porn actual investigation unit members and
say "hey, would it help if you had access to every single packet to/from
AU"?  I'd think 99% of them would say no, and not just because it'd be
impossible to sort through, lets pretend we had some magical tool to do
that, but they'd say that their current enforcing tools work as best they
can based on what the offending people are doing.. ie, they are either
stupid and being caught, or they are international level CP/child
traffickers with more than enough smarts any sort of LEO or more advanced
would get them nowhere (in general, barring the 1% of decade-long
investigations that eventually do fall to someone slipping up)..

anyway!