[AusNOG] Government sets parameters for NBN

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Apr 9 17:37:01 EST 2014

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Greg Anderson wrote:

> In my opinion, the FTTH was expensive but invaluable, however this
> technology mix (lets call it PN for public network) is not going to solve a
> majority of the problems we have in place today - only the dire ones (like
> pair gain problems preventing any kind of fixed line networking at all).

Lets not lose sight of the great number of people who were never going to get
glass ANYWAY under the original scheme. There have been flaws at every stage of
this thing, it's just how many people were affected, and how noisy those people
were (or politically influential).

When the highest population-density areas (read, those who already had ADSL2,
wireless and multiple other technologies from a variety of vendors - ie the
metro areas particularly) were going to get their feeble 5 megabits services
upgraded to hundred megabits+ over glass, all those people who were stuck with
dial-up modems (or aspired to have a line good enough to use a dial-up modem),
or who limped along with 256Kbps adsl1 (because it was the best they could
get), or were forced back to high-latency, expensive, unreliable satellite
services that are entirely unsuitable for voice or real interactive
applications) - were unlikely to actually see any benefit ANYWAY.

Expensive solutions or not, don't fool yourself that EITHER party was going to
actually deliver FTEP. (Fiber-To-EVERY-Premesis)