[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Mon Sep 16 15:20:39 EST 2013

Seriously guys, we've got stop equating maximum line speeds to data transfer
rates (eg download speeds). They are 2 completely different measurements. It
is no wonder customers get confused when people in the industry, and who
should know better, keep saying that download speed = line speed. They are
NOT.

Rod

So if a customer buys a 25/5 service for example, they'd expect that they'd
be able to upload at 5Mbps while also downloading at 25Mbps. They probably
won't be able to due to bandwidth asymmetry, which means that the ISP/RSP
may be violating trade practices laws for false advertising. Or in the
least, the ISP/RSP have to deal with customer complaints.

OTOH, if the ISP/RSP provided 25/25, then it is possible to both upload and
download using TCP at full rates in both directions.

In the brave new NBN world, where people have data centers in their
basement, are uploading X-rays from their iPhone 9, and streaming 4K
security camera video of their cat to the Internet, I think the consequences
of this asymmetry are going to become are more visible.

Regards,

Mark.