[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Sep 15 15:58:18 EST 2013

Could be 60% cheaper, but wouldn't be. Given they'd be using a
quota/allowance for the service, selling 40/40 vs 100/40 would only impact
the amount of burstability and therefore the possibility of the ISPs
transit being saturated, but not by much.

I'm not assuming residential users only download, just that the majority is
download, and that were it to come to a decision of 50/20 vs 40/40
(symetrical from a provider doing said shaping), 50/20 will win just about
every time.

I think you're missing that I'm not disputing that symmetry isn't
beneficial, or that in practice it won't be for some people, because it is
and it will, but that most of the time they *won't* benefit, and indeed
most of the time they'd actually be experiencing detriment as a result of
having a slow symetrical service.