[AusNOG] GoodBye NBN

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Sep 9 10:34:44 EST 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 10:23 +1000, Robert Hudson wrote:
> On 9 September 2013 10:15, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
>

>         So, your landlines die after an hour of power outage now? find
>         that hard to believe... sniff sniff, yes, troll day appears to
>         have come early this week..
>

> To be fair, many people with cordless phones (and there are lots)
> would start having issues pretty quickly into a power outage.  Sure, a
> corded phone may still work, but many people don't have them.

thats there problem, you can buy cheap wired sets for 10 bucks from
places like Sams warehouse

>         and as for portable, how many old folk (70/80+) run around
>         living on their mobiles. SFA thats how many.
>         just because the average person and their inner circles here
>         live on the things, dont assume the rest of the population
>         does as well.
>         and the elderly are the MOST and highest "at risk"   from this
>         change.
>

> My 88yo grandmother has a mobile phone that she answers more regularly
> than she answers her landline (which, FYI, has a cordless phone
> connected to it).  I'd suggest assumptions are bad no matter who's
> argument they're supporting. :)

Maybe so, my dad who's approaching 80 also has one,mum does not, and
does not want one either, but none of his, or mum's friends do have one.
I would expect people related to technical people may, but don't go
assuming they all do, if I went up to the RSL on a packet out Saturday
arvo and held a vote I'd be betting maybe only 10/20 might have one.