[AusNOG] GoodBye NBN

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 10:23:13 EST 2013

On 9 September 2013 10:15, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> So, your landlines die after an hour of power outage now? find that hard
> to believe... sniff sniff, yes, troll day appears to have come early this
> week..

To be fair, many people with cordless phones (and there are lots) would
start having issues pretty quickly into a power outage.  Sure, a corded
phone may still work, but many people don't have them.

> and as for portable, how many old folk (70/80+) run around living on their
> mobiles. SFA thats how many.
> just because the average person and their inner circles here live on the
> things, dont assume the rest of the population does as well.
> and the elderly are the MOST and highest "at risk"   from this change.

My 88yo grandmother has a mobile phone that she answers more regularly than
she answers her landline (which, FYI, has a cordless phone connected to
it).  I'd suggest assumptions are bad no matter who's argument they're
supporting. :)