[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

jake anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Nov 8 18:21:16 EST 2013

I think that as always there is a need for balance.
ENCRYPT ALL THE THINGS! is going to cause problems particularly as far
as caching and any other form of "legitimate" snooping.
I feel that as a % the volume of traffic that would benefit from
encryption is low.
IE encrypt your VoIP call, not so much the cat videos.

Perhaps more focus needs to be put on advertising to legit snooping
boxes the data they need to do said snooping, and if perhaps they can do
that snooping *without* spying on the *content* then so much the better.
IE encrypt content by default, but leave the ability to declare some
elements as plain text or with some form of unique ID that lets things
cache and proxy perhaps even better than before. IE you could plausibly
cache bit torrent style traffic by storing a uuid and md5 (say) for each
block without actually knowing what was in said block.

If wiretap style snooping is your pet bugbear then encrypt the network
link itself, not necessarily the traffic going over it. If you
transparently encrypted all the data as it went over the wire, then
inside your switch decrypt it, and recrypt it as it goes onto its next
hop that would really put a spanner in their works.

That said I figure *most* of the important traffic these days would
already be encrypted and the wiretap is mostly going to be giving meta
information, IE who is talking to whom and how much. The decrypted info
would I imagine mostly be coming from compromised end points (a task
made vastly easier with meta information about your target)