[AusNOG] Confirmation of govt blackholing. Was: Re: Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Paul Wallace paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au
Thu May 16 16:51:19 EST 2013

Well ... sort of.

In reality parties seeking Orders need to apply to the Court in the first instance. That's called commencing proceedings, after which you have the right to appear & put your argument up to the Court. If the ASIC (for e.g) fails in their application, generally 'costs follow cause' & that mean you'll have a good chance of prevailing in a 'Costs Hearing'.

Quite obviously, if you've prevailed then you don't need to consider the matter further or to effect the demand made upon you.

Most non lawyer, businessmen I've met over the years remain fearful of 'simply doing nothing' or 'telling the Authority that made the demand that they're not prepared to comply'.

My advice is, if you don't wish to pay a lawyer, respond directly to the demanding party asking them to set out the precise basis in law upon which they rely in making their demand. This is most likely all that your lawyer is going to do anyway in the first instance. After you receive a response you might like to take the response to a lawyer .. but at least you've saved a few quid in the first instance. A lawyer will be able to advise you as to whether the demanding party is attempting to unreasonably demand something from you or not.

Refer to the Act & the Code. At all times.

Don't ever think the law is about 'what's a fair thing', because it's sadly not. Rather, it's just about the letter of the law & how it's interpreted & argued.

The demanding party is not likely to commence proceedings against you in the interim in the absence of a response to a request to set out the legal basis they rely upon. Also, it can be argued that Government Departments & the various Authorities need to adhere to a higher standard in litigation via the Doctrine entitled 'The Model Litigant'.

Therefore, I agree with the sentiment that you all should not simply roll over at the first demand. Ask them to provide the argument they'd rely upon in Proceedings.

-P