[AusNOG] IPv6: "Objections to sale"

Thu Mar 7 20:02:46 EST 2013

> Of course, if you simply don't want to do it then you won't discuss
> it regardless of whether it'll make or cost money.  And that's where
> we seem to be.
>
>    - mark

I think that it's a minority of  management that simply doesn't want to
do it. In my recent experience most of the managers I had to deal with
just don't understand why they have to bother about IPv6 at all. Most of
them are of the opinion that this is a problem that solves itself by
buying new gear. Many of them think it's obvious that the network is
IPv6 enabled, after a network upgrade.
So Mark is right, engineers should simply start to introduce IPv6 as far
as they can without telling management, just do it. There's nothing to
sell, it works better, when you rock up at the meeting, and tell them,
that you've connected the business via v6, and that you're ready to get
all the systems up to scratch (meaning IPv6 enabled). You'll see, most
of the time they'll be positively surprised how far you've already got,
and then tell you to keep going. Or they just won't care, because it was
obvious that you would do that.
And that's how you sell it to them: it's an obvious thing to do, it's
"state of the art", "the competition is doing it", "everyone is doing it".
If you as an engineer think that you don't need to go v6 because
management hasn't told you so, take care, you might get blamed one day
as to why you haven't enabled IPv6.

Mat