[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Wed Mar 6 22:22:29 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 21:43, Jethro Carr wrote:
> Do mobile network resellers (eg Internode's "Node Mobile") manage their
> own IP addressing and assignment, or are they limited by the IP ranges
> or software/hardware infrastructure of their parent carrier?

Depends whether you're talking about "NodeMobile" or "NodeMobile Data".

The former is a purely resold Optus service, including phone and data.
(The public IPv4 address you end up with belongs to Optus.)

The latter is a data-only service, where the IP layer is handled by
Internode (you get an Internode IPv4 address). Unfortunately despite
that, it doesn't support IPv6. I don't know how GSM data works, so I
can't comment on why not.

I do know, however, that IPv6 over GSM exists (last I looked into it was
2010, where I think T-Mobile in the US had it on a trial basis, and
possibly Verizon were trialling some NAT64 stuff on their LTE service).
Android 2.3+ (2.2?) supports IPv6 over GSM (subject to hardware
support). No idea about iOS.