[AusNOG] IPv6 -"Nope, we're not at the edge" - Cisco...

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Mar 6 17:53:02 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 07:40:32PM +1300, Don Gould wrote:

 > Now you've totally changed the tune and am telling me that it's all ok
 > to just keep maintaining everything v4, at which point I just say "why
 > bother v6 at all", we have to hold on to v4 anyway, get back to me in 10
 > more years when we actually need v6.

You're not serious, are you?  That's actually the total opposite
of the message I've been sending.

As I've consistently said:  Do the low-hanging fruit first. Do the
hard stuff when you've already used your initial deployment to build
up expertise, and when you've been able to thwack your vendors into
supplying appropriate kit.  Don't use the fact that one application is
"hard" to justify not doing anything at all.

It seems to me that 90% of your specific problem is that you've chosen
crappy vendors.

If you can't find local NZ equipment which meets modern expectations,
have you considered importing stuff that does?  Accept and monetize
risk, that's what service business do...

  - mark