[AusNOG] IPv6 -"Nope, we're not at the edge" - Cisco...

Craig Askings craig at askings.com.au
Wed Mar 6 15:57:31 EST 2013

On 06/03/2013, at 2:40 PM, Don Gould <don at bowenvale.co.nz> wrote:

> On 6/03/2013 5:10 p.m., Craig Askings wrote:
>> IPv6 support on VoIP / SIP hardware is even worse than most other IT equipment vendors.
>
> ...and now we're starting to understand why SMB's are dragging feet here on v6.

Almost every SMB network has ipv6 active on their network. They just don't realise it yet. Android, iOS, Windows Vista +, Mac OSX etc. Are all chattering away to each other over Link Local scope ipv6.

> I just spend most of the last week setting up a VPN cloud at a number of customer sites and reconfiguring my networks so that I can run v4 end to end so we can get them access to our VPS platform so we can host VoIP instances and wireless controller software for them.
>
> I'm not spending my time learning v6 and pushing it in because I'm way to busy fighting with work arounds in my on going quest to kill off another old technology that just won't die - the PSTN!

My last employer was amongst other things was a hosted PBX provider. As part of our normal run of the mill maintenance of the network we managed to ipv6 enable our core, client VRFs and Voice servers (Freeswitch rocks), we even got a snom handset to make a call over ipv6. The only thing stopping us from going to full production with the handsets in that mode was remotely restoring config onto it was only possible over ipv4.

However when a handset comes along that will work that way, everything will be ready. If you want to try SIP over ipv6 send an invite to sip.itslenny.com, Lenny will happily chat to you for hours over either ipv4 or ipv6.

> Come on man.... if Cisco, the worlds biggest networking company, aren't leading the charge and are pushing NEW non v6 models out there then why should little old, grumpy, loud mouth Don from the bottom of the planet bother?

Why not bother, hop in the water is fine. I've been swimming in ipv6 for years. Honestly you have spent more time bitching about ipv6, that it would take to actually just do it.

This is starting to remind me of the conversations I have with my children over homework...

Craig.