[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 13:58:15 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 3:46 p.m., Paul Gear wrote:
> i think Don's overall point that it's hard to cost-justify and hard to
> get moving at the grassroots level in anything more than a test
> environment is reasonably sound.

aa.  Actually the point was raised by someone on NANog, I can't take credit.

bb.  I think we need to focus that the point is that "I" am having
trouble, where as Mark just finds it easy.

cc.  The issue is v6 traffic is 1%.

dd.  Mark can sell it, but we need 5,000 Marks out there to sell this
one if we're going to change the balance to make Jared happy again - ie
be in a world where Jared can get resource at a reasonable price when
ever he wants it for his business.

ee.  Clearly I need training to sell and do this stuff.  It's just not
going to work if I just wait for Mark to do it all.

ff.  The fact that this issue started on NANog and not me just posting
in some rant started last week, just shows that we're not the only ones
fighting with this.

gg.  If my inbox is anything to go by, I'm not the only one who just
can't sell this stuff, I'm perhaps just the only one with a small enough
ego to confess I need AA for v6! :)

Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave
Mairehau