[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Wed Mar 6 13:46:57 EST 2013

On 03/06/2013 12:16 PM, Alastair Johnson wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 4:58 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
>>
>> The network is the easy bit.  If the members of this list had started
>> low-key activities back in 2011 when APNIC's last-/8 policy commenced,
>> they'd be done by now, the staff working on it would have received
>> ample on-the-job training about how it works, and the additional cost
>> they'd have incurred would have been pretty minimal.
>>
>> I'm sure that treating IPv6 as if it's some kind of massive budget-
>> wrecking major project is part of the reason it hasn't been happening.
>> Well, it isn't one of those.  It's some planning, then it can go
>> through the rollout phase largely as business-as-usual.
>
> +1 and nicely written, Mark.

Nicely written, but moving away from the question again.  Mark, what are
these low-key activities that we should have done in 2011 that are easy
to sell to management?  Feel free point me to something (practical) to
RTFM if it's out there, but i think Don's overall point that it's hard
to cost-justify and hard to get moving at the grassroots level in
anything more than a test environment is reasonably sound.

Paul