[AusNOG] IPv4

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Mar 5 13:35:40 EST 2013

In message <513554D9.3000606 at layer10.com.au>, Paul Brooks writes:
> On 5/03/2013 7:52 AM, Zone Networks - Joel wrote:
> > No need to do any audit... like Bevan suggested, increase the pricing
> > for ipv4 to $1/year and watch it being returned.
> >
> > And to make it more fair, only for members that got allocation before
> > the last /8 kicked in
> >
> > And even if the ipv4 doesnt get returned APNIC etc will have some extra
> > $$ to promote and push ipv6
> >
> > It really comes down to pushing people onto ipv6 ASAP, and currently
> > they is no APNIC etc policy that is pushing org's into ipv6 (not that I
> > know of)
>
> FFS - You guys really don't get it, do you.
>
> What more policy could APNIC possibly do than make IPv6 addresses
> essentially free???
>

> There is no 'moving off' and returning IPv4 once you have deployed IPv6.
> Your customers need BOTH IPv6 and IPv4 in order to talk to the rest of
> the planet -
> IPv6 to talk to those IPv6-enabled sites 'out here' who have made the
> enlightened transition, and IPv4 so they can remain talking to the rest
> of the planet that hasn't yet made the transition.
>
> Realistically, only when <10% of the rest of the planet remains IPv4-only
> will you be able to switch off IPv4 - and by that time, in several decades
> nobody will want to buy the address blocks either.
> Your timetable for 'moving off' IPv4 is not set by you - it is set by the
> rest of the planet.
> The timetable for the rest of the planet to also be able to move off IPv4
> is set, by a small but measurable amount, by YOUR rapid deployment of IPv6
> dual-stacked, to reduce their reliance on the old dying system to be able
> to communicate with your content or your customers.
> ...and of course your commercial need to make sure your customers don't
> leave for the other guy because they have IPv6 and better performance and
> wider access  to eyeballs or content than they can get through your
> increasingly walled-garden IPv4-only service.

Note one doesn't have to *have* IPv4 address, one just needs *access*
to IPv4 addresses.  One can be pure IPv6 yet still offer IPv4.
Stuff like DS-Lite is outsourceable if you are a eyeball ISP.  As
long as the AFTR box is few ms way it makes no real difference if
you host the AFTR box or you pay someone else to host the AFTR box.

Similarly you could rent a block of IPv4 address space from those
that have it and tunnel traffic back to yourself over IPv6.

I'm suprised that people arn't yet offering both these services.

For the Somalia example going IPv6 internally and have the IX's run
the AFTR service and incoming tunnel server.  This would work and
be cheaper than each ISP trying to do their own thing.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org