[AusNOG] IPv4

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sat Mar 2 15:52:43 EST 2013

The unsaid thing here seems to be the cost, to the company, to the
customers, to whoever.

I'd suggest that businesses that operate on low margins are always going to
feel more threatened when their business model comes under attack, but that
is their cross to bear not the internet communities'.

When you have providers selling virtual servers for $5/month, dedicated
IP/hosting for $3/month, dedicated servers for $99/month and so on, you
start to have complaints from people who can't afford to role out IPv6, or
are worried about losing their customer base if they try pass on some of
the costs to them. Sure there are lots of companies complaining who do
operate on high margins, and people on low margins not complaining, but
they aren't the ones with a fundamental business model problem.

It seems people have made their beds, and as painful as it is, they are
going to have to sleep in them. The people still playing pass the parcel
with this ticking time bomb when it goes off are going to take a far larger
hit in 5 years than if they bite the bullet now and get IPv6 ready. And
conversely, they are paying a much higher price now than they would have
even 5 years ago.

People complain about software not working properly with IPv6, well it
might have been time to kick up a fuss about that 10 years ago, not in 5
years time and still expect something to be done when the horse has well
and truly bolted. We've had client-side IPv6 support for going on 10 years
now, and while it isn't anywhere near perfect and there is still a lot to
be done... well its all been said already.