[AusNOG] /20 Available

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Mon Jan 21 15:53:13 EST 2013

On 21/01/13 3:45 PM, Jacob Gardiner wrote:
> Although I know there's always going to be loopholes when there's
> situations where companies start acquiring companies (Like what
> Microsoft did) in order to acquire assets, including IP resources, I
> think the process of buying and selling should probably be governed by
> the regional internet registry. Streamline the process as much
> as possible but properly evaluate the requirement for acquiring the IP
> addresses and make sure the motive isn't to simply buy and sell.
>
> Would it be tedious? Yes.
> Is it required? I think so, yes.
>
> IPv4 is going to be a sheetfight over the next few years unless trade is
> regulated. Those of us who will legitimately need more address space are
> doomed whilst these "brokers" who actually provide no value to what we
> do collect a cheque on the way through.
>
> If company X no longer requires the resources, surely their
> 'justification' for the allocation is no longer valid.

If you regulate more, you're changing what companies / people will
report as justification. How far can a RIR go to prove that a
justification is justified?

APNIC currently has to approve transfers, isn't that regulated enough?
What could change with this process?

More justification? Stat Decs? Court Orders? (None of this really would
happen? -nor should it)

I can't see how to improve it.

Wait I can.. (USE IPV6!!)