[AusNOG] The occurrence of duplicate MAC addresses

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 6 21:29:26 EST 2013

Hi,

There's been a discussion over the last few days on the IETF IPv6 6man (IPv6 maintenance) mailing list regarding the use of MAC addresses to generate IPv6 Interface Identifiers. One of the issues relates to how unique MAC addresses are.

Following on from "The Wild West" presentation I posted the other day, I emailed HD Moore to see if I could get some numbers regarding numbers of occurrences of duplication of individual MAC addresses. HD got back to me today, I've posted them at the following mailing list archive URLs. Make sure you're sitting down.

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg17105.html

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg17105.html

Regards,
Mark.