[AusNOG] NBN Review shows FTTN blowout of 12bn, FTTH blowout of 29bn

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Dec 13 05:10:41 EST 2013

Doing a little bit of hijacking, but...

What are the consequence of not having ubiquitous uni-v?

As far as I can read there are no plans to ensure uni-v is offered
across the multi-technology-whatever-they-call-it network.

Does that mean a continuation of the copper landline model with line
rental for decades to come? Does that mean filling the FTTN cabinets
with POTS linecards for the next decade or so? A consumer loss.

We've also lost the ability to seamlessly switch between providers for
allbut the lucky few on a 4-port FTTP NTU. So the barrier-to-switching
will remain in place for decades to come. A consumer loss.

It seems to mean there are numerous cascading consequences of this
MTM - many of them negative.

As an aside, I do note that the recent discussion around the risk of
having a "down to zero" service with little or no recourse for QOS are
now almost certain to be true. A consumer loss.

As others have said, it's not just the better technology mix that has
been lost in the change, but many of the underlying principles and
concepts that came with the NBN. Most notably the transfer of power to
the consumer has largely be negated and reverts to our current
situation.

About the only thing I really like is the potential of the MTM
acronym. Malcolm Turnbull's M*****?

"Miracle" if you like it? Or "Madness" if you think it's entrenching
the mess that the country has lived with for the last decade?

Mark.