[AusNOG] NBN Review shows FTTN blowout of 12bn, FTTH blowout of 29bn

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 09:06:39 EST 2013

I spoke yesterday with someone who has a Telstra DOCSIS3 HFC service, and
they surprised the hell out of me when they mentioned upload speeds of
40Mbps.

The NBN report also specifically mentions upgrades to the HFC services to a
3:1 downstream:upstream ratio, with 120Mbps/40Mbps touted. They also
mention gaining access to the HFC networks for wholesale purposes. So you
won't have to be a Telstra or Optus customer to use it.

Although I disagree with the inclusion of HFC except as a very short term
solution to let NBNCo concentrate on areas that have nothing better than
ADSL2 servicea right now, it doesn't pay to not understand the full story.

I have an detailed overall opinion on yesterday's announcement which I'll
hold off on for now...