[AusNOG] Juniper vs Cisco vs Brocade - what's best for BGP routing?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Thu Dec 12 09:10:46 EST 2013

I hear what you are saying.

Virtualisation is becoming a huge thing, but for many applications,
hardware is still going to be preferable.

That said, Juniper is close to releasing the Virtual SRX (Firefly), and has
released the Virtual Wireless Controller.

When SDN is actually something more than 1% care about, that will also be
interesting.

Over the next few years, network tin will go the same way as server tin.  A
Dell/HP/etc rep struggles to differentiate their tin right now, because you
just throw Vmware or some other OS and it is the same...

Networking vendors still enjoy some uniqueness about their product... but
SDN will turn them into bits of tin that will only be differentiated by
ports and speeds as all the smarts will be in your SDN controller... so a
Cisco, Juniper, Brocade will sit next to each other and will be almost the
same operationally.

Cisco knows this is coming and hates it, but is trying to give similar
outcomes while maintaining some path for value-add.

It was an interesting move of Juniper to buy Contrail and then open-source
it - perhaps to establish themselves are the standard in SDN
infrastructure.... and it seems to be working.

Back to your original comments about virtualisation.  Sure, there are some
aspects that will be able to be virtualised quite easy, and will work fine
on server tin... but there are going to be features that will require
dedicated hardware.... but who knows, maybe someone will bring out the
'networking server tin' specifically designed for virtualisation of
routing/switching functions with virtualisation.... that would be cool.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call