[AusNOG] Thailand outbound issues.

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Dec 2 18:10:02 EST 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Grahame Lynch <grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com> wrote:

> Speaking as the (only) Bangkok resident here

Not quite.

;>

> 1) Protestors have actually cut major cables at the HQs of key ISPs here (CAT, TOT). They are repaired now.

They actually cut commercial power mains and stole the control heads for the generators at the CAT Bangrak IDC, the CAT International Internet Gateway (IIG), and TOT's main Bangkok-area PoP.  This has now been rectified; the protestors didn't realize that if they dorked up the Internet, they couldn't use Facebook, Twitter, LINE, WhatsApp, et. al. to coordinate their activities.  They also knocked their own TV station video feeds off the air.

They've now learned their lesson.

;>

There are still some lingering broadband access network outages due to infrastructure devices not coming up in an optimal state after being powered on, or not re-establishing connectivity with the upstream device as those devices came back up.  These issues are being rectified slowly, given the lack of sufficient OOB management capability for much of the infrastructure in question.

> 2) There is substantial DoS activity directed at websites of the participants in the political dispute.

Any details on this would be appreciated.  I'm in communication with all the major Thai wirelines and wireless ISPs, and none are reporting substantial increases in DDoS activity, so far.  What are you observing?

> 3) Thais, understandably, are turning to the net in droves to keep up with events. Online video is playing a large role in this as you might imagine.

Concur 100%.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton