[AusNOG] Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Aqius aqius at lavabit.com
Sat Apr 13 17:31:13 EST 2013

Ross,

I appreciate where you are coming from and if it turns out, as it probably
will, that this is an operational block, then of course block a /8 or do
whatever needs to be done to keep things operational (though be nice to know
on the list promptly when such queries come up), and all of this is a waste
of time.

But if it does come down to something else that affects Australian business
with inappropriate collateral damage, where else? The lack of formal
response and as your own post states 'good luck with that'. Hopefully it's
not something like the recent 'er umm experimental opt in filter' a few
months ago, but if it is something like that it's the exact reason I'd
prefer to see a little discussion encouraged. If someone was involved in
something they felt might be a bit 'un Australian', this kind of convo's
could encourage a little tor and toot, and that's not so bad IMO.

Now I'm happy to acknowledge I'm probably jumping the gun on poorly handled
censorship (the only real reason raised I've queried that line is the
coincidental fact that the block was only implemented by the three); and
certainly if there is a scammy operating fleecing poor Ozzie's of millions,
then fair enough perhaps the least harm is to block the IP in the short term
while things are sorted out; but I'd always prefer to be a little over-eager
on wanting more info for such a scenario, and I don't think that's
unreasonable.

I absolutely do not agree that MFU and other such businesses should be
inconvenienced by a voluntary or otherwise filter without a good cause.

Never the less, you are right in so far as I should shut up because we will
hear official word next week no doubt ;)

Jason