[AusNOG] Syria cut's itself off!

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:45:27 EST 2012

Yeah, it would appear this is just spin from the government. Cloudflare has
put up a blog of what they saw, and it looks like router reconfiguration.

http://blog.cloudflare.com/how-syria-turned-off-the-internet

*"Beginning at 1026 UTC, routes were withdrawn for PCCW. The routing
shifted primarily to Turk Telekom. Routes to Telecom Italia and TATA were
also withdrawn, but has less of an impact. Then, at 1029 UTC, routes were
withdrawn for Turk Telekom. After that, Syria was effectively cut off from
the Internet. (Note that the remaining path that appears to be present in
the video is an anomaly. We have confirmed that it is not actually active.)*

*While we cannot know for sure, our network team estimates that Syria
likely has a small number of edge routers. All the edge routers are
controlled by Syrian Telecommunications. The systematic way in which routes
were withdrawn suggests that this was done through updates in router
configurations, not through a physical failure or cable cut."*

--Damian

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Eric Pinkerton <Eric.Pinkerton at stratsec.net