[AusNOG] OT: Police Wardriving. Where else but QLD!

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Mar 23 14:48:43 EST 2012

Given that 50% of the population has an IQ over 100, I'll wager that all
of the *really dumb* methods people have suggested probably won't
happen, on the grounds of them being really dumb, and the cops I know
are all quite smart.

If somebody asked me to set this up I'd tie into their existing in car
computing resources, worst case add a wifi and GPS + computer in a box
that can sit in the light rack somewhere (Pi anybody?).

As somebody said, complete the transaction and try and get online, hit a
web page, log the IP address server side, and the page content client side.
Then I'd go to the major ISP's and say we have noticed these customers
at IP address *foo* at time T have open wifi.
We don't want to know their names but we suggest you contact your
customers by physical means, include a cover letter of your own and this
one with our letterhead with warnings and resources, hell even print an
official looking police envelope so people don't chuck it in the bin.
ISP's would do it if only to reduce their network traffic and the "2 day
quota used" calls.

If you can't come up with a way of scrubbing out most of the false
positives within 20 minutes you loose 200 internet points. (to a
flowchart level, if you implement it in 20 minutes you will be awarded
200 points, a scary single line regex returns you back to 0 points)

Administration of said system would be the job of somebody at "high tech
crimes" and I reckon would take probably an hour or so once a week to
scan through the logs of the automagic systems and look for anything
suss, maccas changing their wifi, some new fancy captive portal system etc.

Also the police now have a handy list of open WIFI ip addresses, if one
happens to pop up in the course of an investigation well it could be useful.
That and they could probably come up with some kind of charge if you
were warned about it and then your Internet connection was used as part
of a crime, though this one would probably be dubious.