[AusNOG] Buying IPv4

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Wed Mar 14 01:53:54 EST 2012

> One of the key issues is that people are extremely slow in migrating or
> planning to migrate their networks to IPv6.  They biggest problem being
> that users don't know about it, and indeed should they even care?
>
> The way I see it will happen....

Is it time to rehash the IPv6 design arguments of the 1990s where
those pragmatists who favoured seamless transition lost and those who
favoured ease-of-router-implementation and technical purity won?

That there is a growing market for IPv4 addresses is just one
indication of the IPv6 train-wreck. That no serious business runs an
IPv6-only web-site - a decade after IPv6 was standardized - is
another.

The Telco equivalent of IPv4 is the rotary-dial handset. For all their
sins, Telcos *get* seamless transition as you can tell by the lack of
market for rotary-dial handsets (and the fact that those 50 year old
handsets still work in many places).

What we've designed with IPv6 - which is now patently obvious - is a
costly, painful and disruptive transition that everyone is avoiding at
all cost.

If you disagree, why is the market for IPv4 addresses rising and the
market for rotary-dial handsets falling?

Mark.