[AusNOG] Buying IPv4

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellego.net
Wed Mar 14 00:22:13 EST 2012

Nathan,

You are absolutely correct.

On Friday the 3rd of February 2011 the last /8 (103/8) was allocated from
IANA to APNIC.

On 15th of April, 2011 APNIC entered its /8, triggering the final /8 policy.

See the press release: http://www.apnic.net/publications/news/2011/final-8

We are now in Stage 3 -
http://www.apnic.net/community/ipv4-exhaustion/exhaustion-and-network-operators

If you want to read the FAQ about Stage 3, please see:
http://www.apnic.net/community/ipv4-exhaustion/exhaustion-and-network-operators/ipv4-stage3-faq

See: http://www.apnic.net/policy/add-manage-policy#9.10

"As of Friday, 15 April 2011, each new or existing APNIC account holder is
only eligible to request and receive delegations totalling a maximum /22
worth of address space from the APNIC IPv4 address pool. "

-

The final /8 basically says that all current APNIC members can receive UP
TO a maximum of a /22.

NEW members may also receive (up to a) /22 of IPv4, but it is the first and
last allocation they will receive.

There are thousands of /22's available for new members, so it will take a
while for those to dry up - but it will run out at some point.

So, if you received an allocation from APNIC on or after the 15th of April
2011, then you are ineligible to receive any more IPv4 (unless you somehow
got a /23 and want to get another /23).

Personally I am quite amused that the internet community doesn't realise
what has happened - a year ago.  This is why Ausnog now has threads with
people looking to buy IPv4.

One of the key issues is that people are extremely slow in migrating or
planning to migrate their networks to IPv6.  They biggest problem being
that users don't know about it, and indeed should they even care?

The way I see it will happen....

Actually, because this is likely to start a discussion, I will post it
separately.

 *Skeeve Stevens, CEO*
eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego

twitter.com/networkceoau ; www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve

PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM