[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Fri Jun 15 15:03:07 EST 2012

No.. it isn't just protecting them from themselves at all. It is directly
useful to the business. Can you imagine how many support calls Telstra is
saving themselves? Can you imagine the millions of spam emails they are
potentially not sending? Not having customers with viruses or whatever *is*
directly part of the integrity of the network and the integrity of the
business at large. Think bottom line.

Until we are in some Gibson style global-net where there aren't really ISPs
any more, this sort of utopia is a very naive ideal that will only cause it
to take longer to reach that globenet. The internet is extremely disjointed
and disconnected in general, and even more so when you look at geopolitical
borders. And it will only keep growing in that direction. Most of the
traffic might be between US/EU now, given that is where the content is
generated, but with new pipes going all over the globe, it won't be very
long until the traffic figures come more in line. Australia might be a
content importer now, (well including local caching, actual traffic on the
international pipes is not nearly as asynchronous), but that will cease to
be the case in the next 10 years especially with NBN.

This isn't about protecting customers, it is about protecting business for
offering whatever access they want to the "internet". To give an extreme
example, if someone wants to run a NBN ISP that *only* connects those
customers in some sort of national peering WAN, let them (actually I
believe there are a couple ISPs that already do this on an exchange-level
basis). Complaining they don't provide 'internet' access is just as
absurdly archaic as the media companies ideals on copyright.