[AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com
Mon Apr 16 17:02:07 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Rod Veith
Sent: Monday, 16 April 2012 4:30 PM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

I think we're largely in agreement though I do care what about the 'vector'

I'm not so sure.

My views and use of end user technology will undoubtedly change with the technology however with present day technology part of the reason why I care is due to user interface issues, device operation and the content/message I want to send. Voice mails tend to rely on someone retrieving the message, while texting goes straight to a mobile handset.

Texting?  You probably mean the old version of messaging right?  How much traffic has iMessage stolen?  What is the forecast for messaging in 2015 to be SMS based rather than IP?  How many people don't even know the transport has changed on their iPhone/iMessage except for the Blue text bubble?  Does anyone think iCall is not around the corner?  It's funny how iMessage (message medium) then Facetime (video-conf medium) are here but the elephant in the room being traditional voice is still left along.  I wonder how long those deals between Apple and the US carriers last....?

Email is better for communicating considered and prepared thoughts/ideas, record keeping and record retrieval. Conversation is great for discussing ideas, Q/A sessions leading down different paths etc. Have you never been in an email conversation that took two weeks because business managers or the other party didn't want to 'talk' to you?  Whereas a simple 10 min phone call would have fixed the issue straight away!

Talking face to face it better, but generally the least convenient.  At the other end of the spectrum "Messaging" is probably not as good, but mostly more convenient than face to face.

Number/identifer portability is important. And it will need to do different things depending on the use being made of it. I don't particularly care if it SIP indial, PSTN indial or something else. A receiver needs to have multiple incoming "identifers" and doesn't really care how it happens. But this is where ENUM or whatever we call it is important, the technology needs to be told a 'destination' and either deliver a message or open communications with that destination.

Company/person identifier at the application is what matters.  We don't call a number, we call a person or a company (well except for IVR's:))  Numbers were the teclo equivalent of the Duey Decimal system we used to find a person.  The rest is academic.  I had a similar discussion with someone here recently (not dev) when they were explaining to me the importance of having a structured identifying system in the Contract_ID for our Contracts Register.  So that "ABC_QLD_0001" would represent the obvious.  I explained that would be correct except we have these things called computers now and you don't need an alpha version of duey-decimal to find things.  You just have to make the connection at the application level.  The rest is noise best handled by silicon.

[b]

Sorry for the ugliness of the font/colours.  Will sort this bloody Look0ut tonight.

The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential. This email and any attachments are also subject to copyright. No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this information is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the message from your system. All email communications to and from NEXTDC Limited are recorded for the purposes of archival and storage.