[AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Mon Apr 16 15:43:59 EST 2012

On 16Apr12, Mark Newton allegedly wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:43:08PM +1000, Paul Brooks wrote:
>
>  > As for P2P SIP - no, not until we get universal ENUM or similar.
>  > Your phone handset still wants to dial a phone number, not an IP
>  > address - again, for many years to come.
>
> Depends on your definition of "many".
>
> My iPhone very rarely dials a phone number.  It dials names of
> people and businesses that are indexed in various directory
> services (local address books, LDAP, recent calls lists, web)

Right. Smartphones have largely hidden the PSTN number in an
addressbook and numerous apps such as Whatsapp and iMessage intervene
to carry PSTN traffic off-net.

I don't think users really care about transport. All they really want
is to use a known identifier like a PSTN number to get to an intended
recipient. Do they care that it's placed via SS7 across some sort of
PDH network? I think not.

The residual value of the PSTN is your number. All else is mostly
anacronistic.

Mark.