[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Jan 31 16:19:55 EST 2011

On 31/01/2011, at 2:24 PM, Damien Morris wrote:

> On 31/01/11 2:34 PM, "Matthew Moyle-Croft" <mmc at internode.com.au> wrote:
>
>> It is currently a trial.  It's more than, well, any other top 10 ISP
>> in AU is doing.
>
> This is sort of what I was getting at - can anyone else confirm or deny
> this?
>
> It will be a little concerning if ISPs start to hand out 1918 space to
> consumers, then need to keep throwing good money after bad to make it work.

So, you'll get a "real" ip address.  But it'll be one that's used on the internet.

So,  an ISP will take a, say, /17 chunk of space to use as CGNAT space for their customers.

You -> Your NAT -> CGNAT Space -> CGNAT -> Real IP Space

The CGNAT space will be reused behind each CGNAT engine/area/whatever it's called so will be reused many times.

We have to do this as all kinds of people have used RFC1918 space already behind their NATs and their existing CPE will freak out if it sees it on both sides.

MMC