[AusNOG] G.9961 home networking in Australia

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Wed Oct 13 06:03:17 EST 2010

On 12/10/2010, at 10:16 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:

> The G.HN gear is not out yet - probably another 12 months away - but the 200Mbps Homeplug AV gear has been out there for quite a while now.

First off, thanks for the well-presented information at AusNOG.

My personal experience with these units came from a 100-user VoD trial where the early Netcomm Ethernet-over-power solution was the easiest way to get IP to the Television.

They worked more often than they didn't, but these units were by no means a panacea. We could deliver a quality 5Mb/s stream to end users over ADSL2+ 90% of the time (this was 2005/6 - probably more crosstalk in neighbourhoods now), but the EoP solution had about a 60% hit rate.

Dense apartment blocks and old houses had the biggest issues, and as we were working with streaming video at the time it was difficult to accept any less than perfect. I would presume that the newer standard now has some better DSM-style smarts that can deal with some of the power cabling issues we encountered.

John