[AusNOG] 1+1 ports

Daniel Hooper dhooper at emerge.net.au
Fri May 14 13:01:27 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there are any carriers out there who provide 2 ports at each end for a point to point Ethernet circuit? (VPLS)

I'm trying to build some redundancy into a network, I've asked our carrier if they can provide 2 ports at each end  to mitigate a switch failure on our end and they've essentially said no, buy another service identical to what you've already got if you want to do that. I don't need anymore bandwidth, just separate physical interfaces to run on.

Speaking to other people in the industry, it seems the norm for carriers to provide the service over 2 physical ports if requested (obviously for a price). I'm curious if other people have been able to get this configuration on PTP Ethernet circuits ?

Just chasing info at the moment, possibly I need to jump ship to get what I want, or maybe I'm just dreaming and it's a technical reason why it cant be done.

Regards,

Daniel