[AusNOG] Abbott dumps NBN from budget reply

Ian Manners admin at comkal.com.au
Fri May 14 11:36:24 EST 2010

Hi Matt,

> Did anyone hear about this?

Yes :-)

> Describing the National Broadband Network as a $43 billion "white elephant",
> > he confirmed the Coalition would not go ahead with the program Prime Minster
> > Kevin Rudd argues will deliver faster internet speeds across the country.

ADSL 3 isnt far away, and I'm happy to let due process increase access speeds
as the need arises.

> So, vote for an internet filter or vote for no NBN?

I have a cousin in law who is 2 blocks from her ADSL2+ Primus DSLAM enabled
exchange, and yet she and her two teenage girls are happy with a 512Mb plan.

I still want to know who is going to fill out the speed that becomes available ?
Video on demand ? Who upgrades O/S links for speed ?

Done by itself the NBN is a white elephant, it has the potential to take the opening up
comms market backwards as well, depending on what parts of the NBN Report the
government decides to listen to. My personal belief is let it happen as it is needed.

On a side note, there are better and more logical ways to split Telstra up as well :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
ComKal Networks Australia