[AusNOG] Fwd: NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 07:42:03 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Kris Price <ausnog at punk.co.nz> wrote:
> Actually I've never really heard any good reason to use Pt to Pt over
> PON. When you really weight it up it becomes almost impossible to
> justify Pt to Pt except in very dense areas (e.g. Hong Kong). So you
> might use Pt to Pt in downtown Sydney, but even then I'd use PON at the
> CO to keep the architecture consistent with the rest of my network.

It all depends on when and how you want to evolve your network. Most
of us expect that a GPON network will start out with a certain leaf
and branch topology and over time reduce the number of splitters, and
ultimately probably end up with some sort of direct connection
configuration.

But that is over a significant period of time.

> 10GE PON is here today, XGPON is coming, it does have a upgrade path and
> most of the world is using it so it's not like there won't be ongoing
> investment to bring about 100GE PON, etc.

Exactly.

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com