[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Kris Price ausnog at punk.co.nz
Fri Mar 26 01:47:06 EST 2010

Actually I've never really heard any good reason to use Pt to Pt over
PON. When you really weight it up it becomes almost impossible to
justify Pt to Pt except in very dense areas (e.g. Hong Kong). So you
might use Pt to Pt in downtown Sydney, but even then I'd use PON at the
CO to keep the architecture consistent with the rest of my network.

10GE PON is here today, XGPON is coming, it does have a upgrade path and
most of the world is using it so it's not like there won't be ongoing
investment to bring about 100GE PON, etc.

The small island country I'm working for at the moment (not NZ) we're
pushing ahead with plans to use of PON for the majority of our business
connections (>90%). Currently we're using P2P but its grossly
inefficient. For those that require something a little more high value,
i.e. 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps connections, we'll directly attach to our PEs.
Uses the same fibre infrastructure, but instead of plugging them into
the PON in the field, we give them a fibre back to the fibre
distribution hub, and from there a fibre back to the CO.

If you're bored, I made more arguments about this in my broadband
submission for NZ's NBN on this subject...

http://www.punk.co.nz/files/Broadband%20Submission%20(27%20April%202009).pdf