[AusNOG] ISOC-AU position on filtering - with Skeeve's thoughts

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Jul 19 19:34:52 EST 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:52:37 +1000
"Chris Pollock" <Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> > Isn't (thinking about) making money off of it tacitly
> > supporting it? That seems to me to be a slippery slope. "I'll
> > accept anything the government does, as long as I'm making
> > money off of it."
>
> But we're not talking about accepting /anything/ the government does
> that's profitable, we're talking about accepting an optional filtering
> scheme.

I didn't think that was the origin of the question - it seemed to me
the premise was "the government is going to mandate a filter, so it's
probably ok for us to choose to provide a service of support for it".
This is distinct from being forced to implement by law, as ISPs would
be. Then again, the forwarded email was top posted, so I completely
missed the bit at the bottom.