[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Sat Jan 23 16:53:27 EST 2010

 >I mean, talking about ripping off end users more money because they
use ipv4 like Skeeve brought up, pleaaseeeee,

Don't know about the ripping off part but aren't ISP's already charging
more for using IPv4?

If I want to add a static fixed IPv4 address to an existing connectivity
plan (that is convert the dynamically allocated address to a static one)
just about every ISP (please, someone raise the exceptions) will put me
onto a "Business Account" of some description at an extra charge, yet...

 From a whole host of places I can obtain a static fixed IPv6 address
for.... free, no charge, nada, zippo or any other colloquialism you choose.

Courtesy of IPv6Now, 7500 school students using Studentnet each have
their own static fixed IPv6 address allocated to them. And that's today,
right now, as we speak. Plus there is no plan to recover them even after
they graduate from their schools (as is happening, for the first time,
this year in 2010, for 2009's year 12 kids) - the 2009 graduates will
not be charged for their IPv6 addresses - now or in the future..

So static IPv4 address=pay more, and static IPv6 address=pay nothing.

Call it what you will but that's the reality right now - how is that not
paying more for using IPv4?

Regards

Kevin Karp
PPS Internet